Ah, Poetry

In light of giving my poetry presentation tomorrow, I decided that my last blog post should be a reflection of just that- poetry. Let me make one thing clear: I do NOT understand poetry. Like, not even a little bit. That being said, it was difficult for me to start working on my presentation after it was assigned. The thought of having to get up in front of my peers to showcase the very thing I did not understand was scaaaaary.

However, 'tis the night before my presentation, and I'm not so worried anymore. Though I may not like poetry, nor do I understand it as well as my fellow classmates, I'm feeling good about what I have learned. It surprised me how much a little research and some re-reading could do. It also helps that I chose a Dickinson poem, because duh, it's Dickinson. 

While I still don't have a clue in the world what's going on when it comes to poetry, I can confidently say that I know a little bit more than I did when this class started. I mean, that has to count for something, right? Having in-class discussions and analyzing poetry as a group is what truly helped me gain at least some knowledge on the subject at hand. I found people's different interpretations interesting, despite my wondering just how they got that information from a three stanza poem...

All in all, throughout the past seven weeks, I have began to interpret poetry in a way that makes some sense. I found this class challenging at first, worried that I wouldn't fit in (which I don't), but I feel as though it has prepared me for any future English classes that I will take, and that's all that matters.

Me in class


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Home Stretch!

Writer's... Block