Film N Fiction

Who doesn't love a good film adaptation?! Well,  I suppose that could be a rhetorical question, considering most English buffs do not. While I much prefer the novel version of pretty much anything,  I do admire the way in which filmmakers can bring characters to life by finding actors/actresses that encapsulate them perfectly. The film adaption of Little Women, I think, is a great example of this. With a cast of Emma Watson, Timothee Chalamet, Florence Pugh, and Saoirse Ronan, how could the film not be wonderful?  It's fitting that I chose this film in particular, as I am currently reading the novel by Louisa May Alcott. 

As I previously stated, the true beauty of film is that it is able to bring these "imaginary" words and people to life. When I read about Jo, Laurie, and Amy, I can picture Saoirse, Timothee, and Florence so clearly. I think that anyone who has read the novel and seen the film can agree with this. The March girls are strong and independent, and I love being able to see them portrayed by such women in real life. 

In an essay for "Jane Austen on Film", I discussed how so much can be lost in the transition from novel to film. Yes, watching the characters and how they interact is great, but there is something quite enjoyable about picturing them in a way that is your own. All that being said, it's not likely that I will  ever turn down watching a good film. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare of Public Speaking

The Home Stretch!

Writer's... Block